Freehold Resident Burned in Dryer Fire

A man suffered minor injuries Saturday after he tried to put out a fire that started in his dryer, according to police.

The fire was called in around 2:15 p.m. Saturday at a house on the 100 block of Sheffield Drive, police said. When firefighters arrived they discovered that a resident in the house had tried to put out a fire that started in the dryer and was burned on his right hand, according to officers.

The man was treated at the scene and the fire did not spread to other parts of the house, police said.

Officials had not determined a cause of the fire by Saturday afternoon.

-Anna Merriman

According to leading appliance manufacturers, dryer vents should be inspected and cleaned by a professional once a year, and for good reason: Approximately 15,500 dyer fires occur every year, with the most common cause of ignition being dryer lint that has built up in the vent line and the dryer.

Angie's List Badge
Trusted Local Reviews | Dryer Vent Wizard of Central Jersey
Dryer Vent Wizard of Central Jersey is a Best of HomeAdvisor Award Winner